Visit Our Family Website

Translate

Monday, April 12, 2010

My Encounter with Batman


My Encounter with Batman

I have always had a love/hate relationship with bats.  I can handle spiders, lizards, bugs, rats, or any kind of critters, but bats literally freeze up all my moving parts.  

In our household we call bats...BATMAN. It’s a universal, one size fits all moniker.

Batman has come to visit us personally many times. I want to share with you my first encounter with Batman.  I had no idea that when I bought this gorgeous Victorian home, built in the 1800's, that we had encroached on Batman, his cousin Vinny, and all his relatives.  

I will never forget the first night I heard a screeching noise in my bathroom.  I woke up thinking it was my son Alex who is known for trying to sneak in bed with me at night…it's like a game to him.  He has this mental alarm clock that goes off at 3:00am and next thing I know, he is snuggled up to me the next morning.  So of course I thought this was another attempt to sneak into my bed.  I began to call out his name telling him he needed to get his little cutesy bumbosity out of my bathroom and go back to his own bed, and I remember telling him to wash his hands, assuming he was just using the restroom.

Well, I was wrong.  Next thing I know, Batman comes flying in my room.  He didn't even wash his hands.  This was the first time I had ever seen Batman and he looked like a little demon/ gargoyle/ rat with wings! I thought I was seriously going to die. I jumped out of my bed and screamed like I had just won a prize on the Ellen show.  I ran up to the stairs and could still see Batman flying frantically around my room.  Next thing I know another bat flew across my head.  We would later determine him to be Batman's cousin and name him Vinny.  As I ascended the stairs I was beside myself, shaking and still screaming.  I ran into my daughter’s room, jumped on her bed and threw the covers over my head.  Of course, my kids were all awake by, roused by my ridiculous screaming, and gathered around me trying to calm me down.  They of course were all perfectly fine, stroking my hand and trying to reassure me that this was just a bat and not a big deal.  Next thing I see, Victoria comes out dressed like she was going into battle.  She had put on our “Armor of God” plastic helmet, was carrying a plastic racket, and had a baseball bat in her other hand.  Of course the baseball bat was some silly plastic thing shaped as a carrot (don't ask).  She then loudly proclaims... "Mom, don't worry, I GOT THIS!"  Then she goes marching off to defeat Batman.  

Well, I am happy to report Batman, his cousin Vinny, sister Sally, Aunt Betty, wife Millie, and mistress Jezebel have all been defeated.  I of course am still a little traumatized by these unexpected nocturnal visits, and I still have a little trouble sleeping in my room now...ok, maybe not a little….a lot!  On more than one occasion, I have been rocking out the couch in the living room.  I know…pathetic, right?  I asked God the other day why is it that I can travel to the most dangerous countries, rescue lots of orphans, endure major persecution, and not be fearful.  Yet a little scrawny disgusting BAT has more of an effect on me. I might need some therapy.  

Batman has been officially banned from our household!!! :)

Be strong and let your heart take courage, all you who hope in the LORD. – Psalm 31:24

1 comment:

  1. WOW... is all I have to say.
    Amazing daughter!!!
    Love you!
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete