Visit Our Family Website

Translate

Monday, November 14, 2011

Just another case of UNSOLVED MYSTERIES







Just Another Case of Unsolved Mysteries


   This blog is hard for me to write because frankly I am not proud of it. As parent’s we all have pet peeves and one of my biggest ones is not being able to walk down the hallways in my home. I just don’t understand how they get so messy. For example, where does all this shredded paper come from? There is always that one sock and hair bow that magically appears, and of course no one knows where it came from. Out of my entire baseball team, choir, cheerleading squad, and drama team no one will own up to anything that is in the hallway. I can feel my heart beating faster as I trip on a lego and find one of my kid’s underwear lying in the middle of the floor. Can someone please tell me how my important paper just happens to be in the hallway all crinkled up? 

Keeping a house clean with a massive amount of kids is no easy task. I have spent years trying to find that perfect solution. I feel as if I have tried everything and begged God for creative ideas. However, the weird thing is there are always things showing up, or what we like to call "Unsolved Mysteries." I hate even asking the kids who did it, because I am not interested in hearing them deny and point blame on someone else. Do the kids just throw whatever they don’t know what to do with in the hallway? I apparently need to install video cameras or those baby monitors that show video in all my rooms!

My second biggest pet peeve is my pillow. The other night in Haiti, I went to lay down and couldn't find it. I started to throw my hands up because all I want to do after a long hard day is rest and sleep with my pillow. My pillow constantly gets stolen, and on this particular evening I was at my breaking point. I don't demand much. I slept on a roof top in Haiti for almost three years so I don't need the comforts of this world. I can sleep in a rocking chair and rock babies all night, but the one thing my tired self desires is for a pillow. Some mom's need peace when they use the restroom, and I just need my pillow.


 My pillow somehow ministers to my aching, stressed out to the max body. I walked from bedroom to bedroom with my flashlight determined to find my pillow (this wasn't one of my finest mommy moments). I began to wake everyone up proclaiming that it is so hard to live with kids who break, destroy, and ruin everything, and all I want is my pillow. I began to announce that my kids can have anything they want, but do not take MY PILLOW!!!!! The Lord knew that I was losing it and thanks be to Him I eventually found it. Someone decided to use it to mop up water in a bathroom from a toilet that overflowed, and of course it was a mystery as to who did this. It is pretty sad that I have to hide my pillow, but oh the joys of motherhood.

Below is a list of all our “Current Mysteries.” If you know or have heard about any of the following whereabouts, please help this ever growing list of mysteries that are unsolved.
  1. -  Where did all these candy wrappers come from?? I don't even buy candy from the store?
  2. -  Why is there an apple on the tank of my toilet? Seriously, this one concerns me!
  3. -  Why are there more toothbrushes on the bathroom counter than there are children in my house???? Are we brushing dolls teeth now?
  4. -  How do all (and I mean ALL) the lights in the house get turned on??? Even the closet under the stairs??
  5. -  What happened to all the 7, 8, and 9 multiplication flash cards? For some reason, we only have 0, 1, 2, and 3 flash cards.
  6. -  Where did all my pens go?
  7. -  Why do I even buy games? All the pieces mysteriously disappear!
  8. -  Why are my belts and scarves being used as leashes for your dolls? Do we need to enter into therapy again?
  9. -  Who keeps stealing my Sharpee markers?
  10. -  Who stole my pillow this time?
  11. -  Where is my hairbrush (and no I am not singing a version of veggie tales)?
  12. -  Why is there a Puma sock that always reappears in our bathroom? I have never seen anyone wearing the match.
Please tell me I am not the only one with “Unsolved Mysteries” in their home??? I would love to hear your stories. Praying that God gives us all the grace we need today as we continue to live this crazy but wonderful life of parenting. 










2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your kids already....they sound just like mine and I only have 2....trying to mentally prepare for 4.

    I just spent this morning "stealing back" all my sharpies that I thought I had hidden!

    You are a wonderful mother and without moments like these you wouldn't be normal and then your kids wouldn't have funny stories to share later.

    I decided yesterday to make a chart with an ice cream cone and little ice cream balls. The ice cream will start at the beginning of the line each week and work it's way towards the cone. If they get to the ice cream cone by the end of the day Friday they will get an ice cream treat over the weekend. It moves toward the cone with good behavior or cleaning up and moves away when the "unsolved mysteries" can't be solved or resolved. :) I'll let you know how it goes. My kids respond great to this method in their classrooms...we will see how it works with mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, the apple on the toilet cracked me up. :)

    I have three girls and I always find weird stuff. For instance, today I found not 1 but 2 hand drawn treasure maps in my closet...under my boots. There was a random lulu )hair rubber band) in the hall that I swear I put up yesterday. A camera hidden in our ottoman. And a pocket full of acorns when I did laundry.

    So glad to hear there is another mama who swears she puts things away to only discover the mystery of it reappearing.

    ReplyDelete