Visit Our Family Website

Translate

Sunday, September 11, 2011

I Killed the Tooth Fairy



So I am officially the worst mommy in the world. 

Maybe there is a badge I can wear!?

I killed the tooth fairy last night.  Yes, the tooth fairy is dead now, well at least in my home the tooth fairy is dead.   

I grew up in a house where We didn't believe in the tooth fairy.  When we lost a tooth it was like  "oh gross, throw it away please!"  Unfortunately, that lack of compassion for teeth that I experienced growing up passed down to me.  Honestly, I cringe through my crooked smile as my children come running to me with beaming toothless smiles, "mommy, mommy- look I just lost a tooth!"  They hold this bloody tooth in front of me, and I am silently responding with an ugh! Yes, I play the nice mommy role and respond with, "oh thats great woo hoo!"  Now you may be reading this thinking I'm just heartless. I have been parenting for 14 years now.  I am sure there was a time (maybe) I wasn't so heartless towards teeth. I just seriously think teeth are gross!  I can't be the only mommy out there that feels this way.  I know some people don't like feet, well feet don't bother me like teeth do!  I don't know if I am just traumatized from all the dentist appointments I have had to go through with all my children or exactly why I am this way. 

I remember one of the adoptive parents came to visit their child in Haiti- and their daughter lost a tooth.  I remember how sweet the father was and he was so excited that he felt like he got to experience this memory with her.  I watched him sweetly wrap up his daughters tooth while taking pictures from his phone trying to capture the beauty of the moment.  I was completely convicted by his amazing "daddy tooth fairy role!" If only I had "tooth compassion" like his!  

So it is official, the tooth fairy is no longer living in my home.  The tooth fairy didn't just retire, it died.  I can't keep up with being the tooth fairy.  I am a horrible tooth fairy.  My kids all came to me believing in the tooth fairy.  As a young adoptive mommy, I didn't want to crush their excitement, so I played this exhausting game for years and years.  Oh the stories I could tell!  The tooth fairy has caused more drama in my home and even some strife.  So I officially announced that the tooth fairy no longer lives.  I will count my children's teeth and Pre- PAY!

Top Tooth Fairy Drama of the Month:
Forgot to "visit" Annelysia last night! Oh the drama! Oh how she is feeling so very neglected by me. :(

Last week Camden decided to switch beds with his twin sister, so I visited the wrong kid. Once Madison woke up she announced "I owed her"  also for a time last year when I forgot! So Camden comes to me wanting to collect his tooth fairy money as well, since he is a twin to Madison! Ridiculous! My kids can't bill me for teeth they have lost!  


I just simply can't keep track!
I accidentally gave a child in our mission a ten dollar bill instead of a one dollar bill... I've never seen a child more excited to lose teeth.

Victoria decided to teach all the Haitian children about the tooth fairy! Grrrrrrr  I can't even begin to tell you how many teeth we lose every week.  Oh and they all want to save their teeth! If a tooth gets lost, oh the tears.  I found myself in the dirt two weeks ago looking for a "lost tooth."  We never did find that lost tooth. :(

Praying today that your "tooth fairy" adventures turn out better then mine!

Love, a very tired and officially retired- buried in the ground tooth fairy mommy,

Heather Elyse













1 comment:

  1. HI! We just found your site and would love to get in touch with you! We are in the process of an adoption from Haiti.Please email me at cjmyer@yahoo.com Looking forward to hearing from you.
    BTW...the toothfairy is dead here too!:)

    ReplyDelete